atw: Re: 'that' vs 'who'

  • From: "Kathy Bowman" <Kathy.Bowman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 15:59:31 +1030

Hi Howard,
Yes apparently it was common in the times of Shakespeare to use 'that'
when referring to people. By and large I am a curious observer of the
changing English language and don't get my nickers into a knot about it.
I have even tried to get new words (engageable, engageability) listed in
the Maquarie Dictionary. However I resist the use of corporate and HR
language that is designed to dehumanise people (or should I say
'resources'!).
cheers
Kath