atw: Re: XML software for Word-like formatting

  • From: "Chris lofting" <lofting@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 22:22:16 +1000

? how come your not using the master document feature of MS word?

"A master document (master document: A "container" for a set of separate
files (or subdocuments). You can use a master document to set up and manage
a multipart document, such as a book with several chapters.) contains links
(link: Used to insert a copy of information created in one program into a
Microsoft Word document while maintaining a connection between the two
files. When the information changes in the source file, the changes are
reflected in the destination document.) to a set of related subdocuments.
Use a master document to organize and maintain a long document by dividing
it into smaller, more manageable subdocuments. In a workgroup, store a
master document on a network to share ownership of a document by dividing it
into individual subdocuments."

I have used it and found no problems if one is *careful* in its use.

> Several times the authors asked for the whole document to be
> split up into chapters so they wouldn't have to spend time
> downloading the whole lot when they only needed their own
> chapter.

Not an issue with master document usage.

Chris.