atw: Re: XML - a requirement for a TechWriter looking forwork?

  • From: "Warren Lewington" <wjlewington@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 21:00:53 +1000

I can agree with the below. I spent one day getting a website in CSS sorted.
Then four months tweaking the code to get it to work in Netscape, FIreFox,
Mozilla, IE etc. 4 months...

You must know the basics of CSS and html to have a handle on what does and
doesn't work. I never have the code split view or code view off when working
with (spit spit) FrontPage or (bah humbug) DreamWeaver open.

One tool that is a HUGE help is TopStyle. I highly recommend it when working
with CSS. It is an essential tool. Even with the supposedly better embedded
CSS support by FrontPage and DreamWeaver (NightMareWEaver??). Actually,
Adobe GOLive was a far better html editor than DreamWeaver for people who
knew html and CSS. Anyway.

As for XML, I went madly into learning it six years ago. Forgotten all about
it. Never used it. WordPerfect has had a XML module within it for years, but
the damn thing was so incomprehensible to understand that I gave it up - and
I could have used it for one of my clients. Journalists are using bespoke
software that generates XML, like ArborText. And to get hold of anything
like those tools to use and become knowledgeable with is beyond the cost of
my humble turnover. I would be honoured to learn them though...

Cheeky bugger...
Regards;
Warren

PS: And remember, recruiters are often two steps away from the mine shaft,
and hence never really know what is actually going on at the coal-face.