atw: Re: Ways to get people to look at documentation

  • From: "Suzy.Mohamed" <Suzy.Mohamed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:36:54 +1300

Good point raised here and something that's often missed by writers.
To keep ourselves valuable to our employers, we need to 'sell' our work.
I do this in the following ways:

 - Post a global email whenever a new document is released
 - Make friends with Customer Services - let them sell your work to the
customer - they are the coalface
 - Sit down with Customer Services and go through the documentation with
them. Show them how things work. Show them how you can make their life
easier.
 - If you have a company newsgroup, make lots of postings - both questions
and answers
 - Get Marketing to create a Documentation page on the company website so
that your documents are easily accessible to both clients and staff
 - Get your face out there, talk to people about what you're working on,
learn about other people's special interests and let them know what you've
produced that could help them.

Basically, what I'm saying is like in any sales role, think of exposure as
part of your final product.

Suzy Mohamed
PayGlobal