atw: Re: University Research Project - How to avoid working in a void?

  • From: jzolin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "austechwriter @ freelists . org" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 11:28:07 +1000

I'm with Craig Hadden on this one... There are always factors of documentation
that you can attend to, pretty much prepping yourself for the smallish window
of
time you might have to use the product you are documenting.

there is also the factor that with time, a good tech writer will become
familiar with
generalised functionality of products and tools.  there are certain things that
you
can map out (like Creating an X, Changing an X, Deleting an X), which you can
with some certainty assume (yeah we all know about "assume"!) that enables you
to get certain amounts of grunt writing work done in a vacuum.

IMHO---Ultimately, anyone who asks you to document a product that is not yet in
existence, or is unavailable to the writer might need a check up from the neck
up if
they think the doco is going to be worth more than window dressing.

Luck with your course

Joe Z