atw: Re: Time for another debate?

  • From: Stuart Burnfield <slb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 20:56:23 +0800

This is typically the case with military manuals, I believe. I had to write a manual whose headings had in effect been signed off on before I started (possibly before I started shaving). The manual I wrote was a software user guide but the outline I had to work with looked like it was intended for a 1970s-style hardware operations manual. So three quarters of the content had to be shoehorned under one heading, with the rest scattered sparsely over dozens of mostly irrelevant (to this project) headings.

It was a very enjoyable project but having to work to someone else's exact list of headings was not something I'd like to do again.

Stuart