atw: Re: Should we always give users what they ask for?

  • From: "Geoffrey Marnell" <geoffrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 11:41:23 +1100

Hello Janice,

I agree that one size doesn't fit all scenarios, but that wasn't really my
claim (or at the heart of the issue). The heart of the issue is this: should
the degree of comprehension that a particular medium offers be a determinant
in our decision about what media to offer our readers? If the answer is yes,
then it would seem to follow that reader prefrences are secondary
considerations.

We write to communicate. If choosing one medium over another means that our
readers will comprehend less of what we have written, then to choose that
medium is to choose not to communicate with maximum efficiency. We have, in
effect, decided to choose a medium knowing that comprehension will be
compromised. In some cases, that might not be a problem; in others it may be
a problem (and a problem with a moral diemnsion and one certain to attract
litigation).

So let me ask the question again: should we always give our users what they
ask for? That was the issue at the heart of my posting.

Cheers

Geoffrey Marnell
Principal Consultant
Abelard Consulting Pty Ltd