atw: Re: Should we always give users what they ask for?

  • From: Peter Martin <peterm_5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 12:35:00 +1100

Geoffrey:
You wrote:
[snip]

> Yes, we don't much listen to our readers' preferences. There I agree with
> you. But some
> commentators are saying that we should listem to them, and thus the point of
> my
> posting. Assuming that we should listen to our readers, how persuaded should
> we by
> their preferences to adopt their preferred delivery medium?

In other words, what weighting goes to user preferences, vs knowledge of
effectiveness of techniques ?

The point here is that documents are not just for users.    We produce
documents also to serve the purposes of the company providing the
documentation.   For example, it helps the supplier of a product to have
"effective" documentation so that Support calls and costs are minimised.   And
as mentioned earlier, the supplier also has an interest in documentation as a
means of minimising legal responsibilities.

Along the way there is also the problem with techniques that may be "effective"
 in some areas, but not in others.
Anyone want to devise the "effective" way of communicating some of the official
warnings and notices and front matter etc via video ?

Haven't noticed that my local library, which has PCs, databases, microfiche,
visual displays etc has yet thrown away the book things on the shelves.  It's a
case of demand for new media expands the choices, but doesn't fully replace
them.....   well, nearly... haven't found any clay tablets, papyrus, message
sticks etc on the library shelves recently, I must admit.

-Peter M
 peterm_5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx