atw: Re: SEC: UNCLASSIFIED Gerunds rule OK (WAS Re: Macquarie dictionary

  • From: Michael Edward Granat <megranat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:26:44 +1100

At 13:57 23/2/2005, Chris (L) wrote:
>  (think of the use of the verb "to divorce" - people will nominalise it
> to "this divorce is killing me" where the terms imply one has no control
> of it, it has become a 'thing', independent) <snip>

Hellooooo!

I get your drift but, perhaps not the best example, Mr. Lofting.

Divorce is a noun but can be used as a verb as in the way that you specify.
(It can also be a way of life!  Been there, done that.)

 From the Collins BFHCD Aussie Edition:
Divorce  n.1. the dissolution of a marriage by judgement of a court or by
accepted custom. 2. a judicial decree declaring a marriage to be dissolved.
3. a separation, esp. one that is total or complete. ~vb. 4. to separate or be
separated by divorce; give or obtain a divorce (to a couple or from one's
spouse. 5. (tr.) to remove or separate, esp. completely. [C14: from Old
French, from Latin divortium from divertere to separate; see DIVERT]
  -divorceable adj. -divorcer n. -divorcive adj.

Or, as in my custom built compound pun word, in my saying / motto:
"May DiVorce be with me!".
Use DiVorce, Lofting! Use DiVorce!  (There is only a Dark Side.)

It's just so heartwarming to see my Decree Absolute framed on my office
wall, mounted to the front of my old Certificate of Marriage.

What's heaps nicer than a Decree Nisi?  A Decree Absolute!

Don't talk to me about divorce, mate.  For starters and post divorce, my ex
cost me $13,500.00 a kilo, in very round figures, and rising (in kilos and
costs per kilo, so it's exponential).

That's all I really want to say about it.

HTH.

Cheers,

Micky G.

Michael E. Granat