atw: Re: Round-table?

  • From: "Rod Stuart" <rod.stuart@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 09:08:23 +0900

In the classic poem "The Knight of the King's Castration", the knights were
seated around the SQUARE table, because in those days the round table had
not yet been invented. <
www.sfu.ca/~aziabakh/documents/The%20National%20Engineering%20Book%20of%20Song%20and%20Verse.pdf>
The invention of the round table seems to have occurred simultaneously with
the development of the round tuit. Prior to the advent of the round tuit,
people had a great deal of trouble getting things done, because they simply
couldn't get a round tuit. Once the manufacturers realised the boundless
opportunity, the production of round tuits became profligate, and it was
another great leap forward for mankind as nearly anyone could get a round
tuit. The round table just seemed to be a natural evolutionary sequel to the
event. Soon the populace could not conceal its zeal with the abundance of
round tuits and round tables.
A round table is a table that is round. A "round-table" is a bit of slang
that became popular, like a "punch list".

On 25/01/2008, Deborah Cross <Deborah.Cross@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Greetings All,
>
> I'm struggling with the term: round-table.
>
> Our style guide says we adhere to the Australian Oxford Dictionary.  My
> interpretation of the entry for round-table is that the noun is round
> table, but the adjective is round-table.  Can anyone confirm?
>
> It just looks wrong to me.  Can round table really be a noun anyway?
> Isn't it always an adjective and people using it as a noun are just
> trying to short cut the complete phrase round-table discussion?
>
> Would be lovely if it was always just one word: roundtable.  Then I
> wouldn't have to worry!
>
> Please be gentle, I come from the generation that had no grammatical
> instruction whatsoever.
>
> Deborah :o)
>
> To search the austechwriter archives, go to
> www.freelists.org/archives/austechwriter

> austechwriter-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rod Stuart
1/19 Thrall Street