atw: Re: Pronounseeashun

  • From: Ken Randall <kenneth_james_randall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 15:22:29 -0800 (PST)

' "Youse" strikes me as idiotic.   How do you pluralise
a word which is already plural?  Although "youse" does
establish a collective pluralism which is not obvious from the word
"you"; I could equally ask who thought it was a good idea to
have a word which is singular and plural with the same spelling, and
where plurality might not be obvious even in context. '

Other languages do have different forms for singular "you" and plural "you".
English is the odd man out.

English had different forms of "you" too until about 1650.  In the King James
Bible the commandments use "thou" ("thou shalt not steal") because God is seen
as speaking to each person individually.  The communion service includes "Drink
ye all of this", because the disciples were being addressed collectively at the
Last Supper.