atw: Re: Pronounseeashun

  • From: John Maizels <jmaizels@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 10:54:42 +1100

At 10:19 6/01/2012, you wrote:

To the fundamentalists who want to stick to the so-called rules they were taught at school: will you continue to use an en dash (and do you use the en dash now) to indicate that you are treating a multiplicity as a singularity when almost no-one knows what an en dash is used for and most have never even heard of an en dash?

Well, there seems (dangerously) to be two religious discussions running here in parallel.

* the right of the majority to impose their will on the minority. That never bothered the English-speaking minority who colonised civilisation after civilisation and installed English in preference to whatever was spoken locally by the majority.

* the hierarchy of accepted/convention/rule/law. Driving on the left is a law in Australia, and in that way you don't die. Driving on the left is also law in many parts of Asia, modified by local convention which dictates that you position your vehicle where the other people aren't, and in that way you don't die. Seems to be equally effective when practised correctly. Despite the equivalence of the law, the two rule-sets are incompatible, and convention takes precedence.

It seems we agree that, as professional communicators
* we use language which best engages the intended audience
* we use rules as appropriate
* we break rules if necessary, or if we feel that's appropriate
* we can choose to use correct forms within our own community, and just because a construction is right, it isn't wrong.

John (who is about to drive up the F3, and might purchase some organic water if the sign is correct enough to attract our attention)