atw: Re: Pronounseeashun

  • From: Ken Randall <kenneth_james_randall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 15:15:40 -0800 (PST)

Wow.

In Shakespeare's day it was acceptable to spell according to one's own taste,
so there was less-than-standardised spelling.  "I'll talk as I please" was the
convention at that time, and it was later discarded.  If the other person does
not understand what is being said,  as Shakespeare is difficult to understand
sometimes, then the whole thing is a waste of time.

That English is the international language is relevant here.  If
native-speakers find "I'll talk as I please" a barrier to understanding
sometimes, then what must it be like for those for whom English is a second
language.  There are more of them than there are native-speakers.

An international language is helpful, and English-speakers are lucky that it is
English.  Just as it is to America's own benefit to maintain the integrity of
the reserve currency, English-speakers should do the same with English.