atw: Re: OT Re: wheedling the needle

  • From: "Colquhoun, Daryl" <daryl.colquhoun@xxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 10:58:18 +1000

> Just to be ultra-picky... from memory, Matthew was originally=20
> written in Aramaic... :)

Not exactly. The language spoken at the time of those events was Aramaic
but the gospel writers wrote their accounts in Greek, because that would
ensure a wider circulation at the time. So I stand by my claim that the
NT comes to us in Greek.

The gospel writers wrote somewhat after the events, and from memory,
Matthew was the latest, a century or more. So maybe the words really
were 'blessed are the cheesemakers' or 'blessed are they who fall in
syrup', or some of Erisa's suggestions.