atw: Re: OT: Now.... Now Plain Silly!

  • From: "Chris Lofting" <lofting@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 20:13:11 +1100

Hi Naomi,

> I take a somewhat passive-agressive approach - attempt to indirectly
> strengthen the reader's impression of me by taking the higher moral
> ground while appearing humble and conciliatory... and occasionally
> humorous.  Unfortunately this often leads me into the sin of long,
> involved sentences and emailing fellow techwriters when I should be
> working...  :-)

Yes -- I can see this in the above - a focus on reading inbetween the lines!
That would make you good at political satire, court politics, or a writer of
black comedy. BUT, would it make you good at writing the requirements or
user's guide for a missile firing system? If, knowing your 'natural' style,
you were offered a job doing just that - missile specs - would you take it?

If my comments on nigel's perspective are right, the over focus on
dismissal, then he would be open to closing things off to early - premature
dismissal (I think demonstrated in his first email). As such, important
details can be missed and not picked up until well into editing and possibly
requiring a re-write.

My own focus is on getting too technical, too much jargon and so 'hide'
meaning, such that a 'summary' can be over the top BUT the details are
there. The 'hiding' element is common in technical technical writing where
the jargon acts as a secret code that only the initiated can understand.

EACH of us will reflect a bias in perspectives associated with temperament
over the long term, local emotional state in the short term. GIVEN this
understanding, do you look out for it, or warn others to look out for it in
reviews?

Chris.