atw: Re: OT - Comments about Info Pak

  • From: Warren Lewington <Warren.Lewington@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 14:34:30 +1000

I have heard of it.
Apparently a colleague at one place I worked in for six months was using
it, or something very similar.

Imagine something like SnagIT and a text recording tool combined.

The output it produced that I saw was useful to someone like us, although
it was a stream of consciousness style dump. It simply recorded what you
were doing through each window or step, especially on the old DOS style
interfaces. So it would make life a little easier when it came to
documenting those long-winded processes in early IBM/SAP style systems.

You could not hope to claim the output as a useful piece of technical
documentation though. Oh, well, I mean it would help a user, but not to
the same quality we add to user documentation.
But let me tell you, it sure as hell looked as though my job would have
been easier by using it as one of the tools in my repertoire. :-)

My recommendation is try it and see before you say yes or no.

Warren Lewington
Technical Writer
Phone: 02 8572 3195
warren.lewington@xxxxxxxxxx
John Holland Water Projects

This email and any information transmitted with it are confidential
and for use by the intended Addressee only.  The confidential
nature of the information is not waived, lost or destroyed by being
sent to you.

Use or dissemination of this information by a recipient other than
the intended Addressee may cause commercial loss or damage for which
you may become liable.

If you are not the intended Addressee of this email please immediately
contact the Sender and destroy this email.