atw: Re: "Mail delivery notice" spam

  • From: "Daryl Colquhoun" <atw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "austechwriter list" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 19:45:47 +1100

All day I have been inundated with an absolute poultice of "Mail Delivery Notices" ... Anybody else under the outfall, too?

Is a poultice > a plethora?

I take it you understand that you are not being spammed. It appears that Hedley's address, or several of them, is or are being used by a spammer as a spoofed return address, so that such spams as the victims reject come to him.

I am not under such an outfall, but I have been 2 or 3 times. My good news for you is that, if these follow the form that I've observed, they will stop after a few days. Also, it's probably fairly easy, if you haven't done so already, to configure a rule into your email client (or better still, server, if you have control over it) that will reject them. Then some time next week, check what's going on and perhaps remove the rule.

Emails sent to this address are deleted unread as an anti-spam measure.