atw: Re: Is it just me ?[SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

  • From: Peter.Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 09:50:16 +1100

>> any practical user of the instruction authorised to perform the
process, needs only the brief reminder contained in the example
expressed in the familiar jargon, that the fastener must be safety wired.

Reginald:

Well, there you go.      And I thought avoidance of slang and jargon was
one of the basics that might be applied to STE...

Apparently, reinvention of the simple bits of the English language is
permitted.   Presumably, as Wikipedia has it, ".... while allowing for
specific terminology".

Actually, I might have pretty well understood if it said "the fastener
must be safety wired".   Which you were kind enough to say to explain it
to me.  At least I'd know to look for a wire.

I really find this approach really hard to understand in more ways than
one.

Having worked on a couple of SCADA systems, I'm convinced that  four or
five additional words are well spent if they can sometimes save a few
lives.

Meanwhile, STE supposed to improve clarity for people whose first language
is not English????

Sorry. This suggests to me that STE is clearly not simplified English at
all.    Just another language.   For aircraft engineers.

Peter M

From:   Reginald <zut@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To:     austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date:   30/11/2012 08:14 PM
Subject:        atw: Re: Is it just me ?[SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
Sent by:        austechwriter-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

The writer is probably using the language of his or her readers, who
would be maintenance technicians. « Safety » is short for « safety wire
», which is short for something like « apply safety wire to restrain the
fastener against the release direction ». The technique for doing this
is taught to maintenance people, and the written instructions occupy
several pages. To satisfy the desire of untrained readers, the writer
could:
a. Quote the required procedure for applying safety lockwire every time
it is required. In an aircraft, this would be for almost every fastener.
b. Quote a reference to the approved procedure.
c. Say nothing and expect the reader to know when to apply the lockwire.

Is there another means to remind the reader to safety wire the fastener?
None of the above are practical. Perhaps there is a note at the start of
the instruction to define what « safety » means in the context. In any
case, any practical user of the instruction authorised to perform the
process, needs only the brief reminder contained in the example
expressed in the familiar jargon, that the fastener must be safety wired.

As usual, knowing who the intended reader is, and writing in that
person's language, is most important.

Reg

Peter.Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx a écrit :
>  From a sample rewrite of a technical document (Shufra: Clarity in
> Documentation)   Simplified Technical English examples....
>
>  > d. Adjust the turnbuckle to set the correct cable tension. Safety the

> turnbuckle.
>
> Why do I worry about "Simplified Technical English" when I see this ?
>
> Of course, I've never had the opportunity or requirement to safety a
> turnbuckle or buckle a safety turn or turn a buckle safety.   So I'm
> clearly ignorant.
>
> BUT "safety" is now an imperative form of a verb, already yet.?
>
> This is simplified technical English ?
>
> Why am I not going anywhere near the site where someone has been firmly
> told to "safety" something, and thats the key part of their instructions

> on the subject ?
>

> *Peter M*

This message contains privileged and confidential information only
for use by the intended recipient.  If you are not the intended
recipient of this message, you must not disseminate, copy or use
it in any manner.  If you have received this message in error,
please advise the sender by reply e-mail.  Please ensure all
e-mail attachments are scanned for viruses prior to opening or
using.