atw: Re: Is it just me ?[SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

  • From: "Terry Dowling" <Terrence.Dowling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 18:03:49 +0800

Hi ya Neil,

All good points - as expected. One issue I would have with 'safing' a
firearm is knowing whether they mean place it in a gun safe or to apply
the safety catch. My policy is that if there's ambiguity, especially for
those whose first language might not be English, change it.

As you say, using known terminology, even though  it might be jargon,
could be the best alternative for the target audience. However, when it
comes to aircraft safety, I'd much rather they broke a
sentence-length-rule if it made the instructions absolutely clear,
rather than ambiguous.

I do object to using ambiguous terms when there are much more plainly
understood alternatives available. How difficult would it be to say
'make safe' or 'secure' instead of using 'safety' as a verb?

I know your argument is that those in the industry know what it means,
but at some point they must have been told/trained in this special use
of a standard English term. A step not required if they use normal
language.

Cheers,

Terry

        From: Neil Maloney

        * Restrict the length of noun clusters to no more than 3 words
        * Restrict sentence length to no more than 20 words (procedural
sentences) or 25 words (descriptive sentences)
        * Restrict paragraphs to no more than 6 sentences (in
descriptive text)
        * Avoid slang and jargon while allowing for specific terminology

        ... and it's the last one that the use of "safety" as a verb
falls into. In aerospace, it's specific terminology and not jargon.
Outside of aerospace, it's jargon and shouldn't be used.