atw: Re: Irregular Word cross reference behaviour

  • From: Craig Hadden <craig_john_hadden@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: atw <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:12:10 +1100 (EST)

Off-list, Janet wrote:
> Our own bookmarks ...change ...[and each] is used
> for context sensitive links from the software.

> I just fix the broken links and there's dozens...

If it's the _names_ of the bookmarks that change, you
could use find-and-replace to update the names in the
links (if you aren't already).

(When you insert your own bookmarks, I'm guessing you
_need_ to select all of the heading. But if not, just
clicking in the heading and inserting a bookmark gets
around the problem of Word using your bookmark instead
of its own when people insert cross-references.)

> Choosing a cross reference from Word's bookmarks is
> an impossible task

Granted.

> I don't do the original links...
> Whatever is done has to be transparent to the author

Apart from not selecting the whole heading before
inserting each bookmark, I don't know of a fix. Maybe
you could alter your workflow so that the bookmarks
get inserted after all the cross-references?

Hope that helps,
Craig

=====
-- My e-mail address is:
-- craigh(at)attachesoftware(dot)com
-- (I may not see messages sent to my Yahoo address)

http://au.movies.yahoo.com