atw: Re: Irregular Word cross reference behaviour

  • From: Michael Edward Granat <megranat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:23:09 +1100 (EST)

Hi Janet (T) and ta Daryl (Q).

From a simple test that I just did, methinks that all you
have to do to get those Word generated cross references to
work is to nest those codes "in quotation marks".

The test: I just went to my Contents list, selected a
random heading reference (in this case to the heading
"Cautions"), pressed Shift+F9 to reveal the underlying
cross reference code: "_Toc96314518", copied that to the
paste buffer with Ctrl+C, then choofed down to elsewhere in
my document, did a Ctrl+F9 to insert a {} field, typed ref
(space) then pressed Ctrl+V to paste "_Toc96314518"  beside
it, typed \h and pressed F9 to update that field.

Lo and behold, it displayed Cautions and, when I clicked on
it, the hyperlink took me straight to the heading in
question.  Saves a lot of bookmarking if you can simply
steal from a generated content list!

Perhaps, however, you should update (Ctrl+F9) your content
list first, in case those codes change with each refresh.

Anyway, from this limited play with Word, I recommend
filching the codes for what you want from the generated TOC
(wherever practicable) rather than using the often flaky
Word cross references.

Me? I usually stick to manually creating my own bookmarks
but, after trying this, filching _Toc codes looks like it
could be fun, sneaky and time efficient.

Hope that helped you in some small way, Janet, without
confusing the issue too much.

At least I discovered something that I can use.  He-he!

Cheers,

Micky G.

Michael E. Granat
Qualified Good Tech Writer Dude
Fellowship Of The Ring Of Tech Writers, Yeah Baby!
T/as Write Ideas
E-mail: mailto:writeideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: <http://home.pacific.net.au/~megranat/>
Without Prejudice.