atw: Re: Here it is: The Queen's English? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

  • From: Howard.Silcock@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 15:49:20 +1000

Thanks, Deborah!

That's really good - congratulations to all contributors.

All you need now, to achive the required "frivolity and licentiousness",
is the authority to change "canapés and mocktails" to "cannabis and
cocktails"...  (Though I know universities have a reputation to live
down.)

Howard
(see, I didn't really ridicule you, did I?)

"Deborah Cross" <Deborah.Cross@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: austechwriter-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
21/05/2007 03:23 PM
Please respond to
austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
atw: Here it is: The Queen's English?
Topic

TRIM File Ref

I meant I'm seeking approval of those who helped provide the wording :0)
But yes, my workplace is a little government-like!

OK, here's the wording I'm proposing with thanx to Susy North and Peter G
Martin for much of it:

Here ye, hear ye!

Her Majesty the Queen hereby commands the presence of her loyal subjects
for an equestrian contention between certain of her Colonial servants
domiciled in portions of her kingdoms now known as Australia and certain
other outlanders not so fortunate as to be so permanently settled therein,
the game to be known by this her decree, as the Royal Polo ~ Australian
vs. Expats.

Subjects should gather in the grounds of the South Oval as the clock
strikes midday on the eighth day of June in the two thousand and seventh
year of our lord. Subjects not attired with a hat and sunscreen shall be
beheaded.

Faithful subjects will be rewarded with canapés and mocktails at
conclusion of the Royal Polo.

The Royal Polo is held in honour of the celebration of the anniversary of
her majesty's illustrious ancestors' birth, which has been an occasion, in
times past, to assemble for the purposes of gambolling and sundry other
nefarious endeavours, and for the pursuit of frivolity and licentiousness.

XXX commands acknowledgement of your attendance by the first day of June
in the two thousand and seventh year of our lord.