atw: Re: File paths

  • From: "Christine Kent" <c.bkent@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 18:38:17 +1000

Paul

You missed my audience definition.  Maybe it wasn't clear.

A training laboratory or a home computer have different demands from a
corporate workplace.  Your conclusion is valid for corporate workplaces
only.

My task here is to identify an idiot proof system with a  5-10 year life
expectancy (which is how long our books last), that suits teachers in
government and private organisations, with on-site and off-site students, of
varying levels of innate brain power and prior computer knowledge.  Their
needs are different from those of Shell or BHP.

Working from home, I save to my hard disk, do a synchronised backup to one
of two external disks (the second lives in my car and gets swapped with the
attached drive whenever I remember) and I have a second synchronised backup
to on-line storage.

But "normal folks" don't much care about all this.  They store their photos
on-line, and backup their music however their particular music program tells
them to back it up.  They keep their keys and logins for software they have
bought off the web so they can download again at will, but mostly they use
free stuff.  And when they lose the lot, they accept that computers are the
much hated and misunderstood love of their lives, and start again.  Their
world is quite different from ours, and at the moment it is moving very
fast.

Christine