atw: Now sorta OT-Re: Re: The Great Economic Recovery?

  • From: MHT <runfox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 21:00:47 -0500

Great line Bruce.
I may just "lift" that idea for the response that I am writing to MD's
"questionnaire about the work habits of technical communicators the world
over".
I was shocked to find a second job (two in one day!!!!!!!!!!) that requires
a BA degree (which I have) along with more diverse job skill requirements.
It was also part time and demand that the part time punter hold to a
"flexible" schedule (a.k.a anytime we want you to drop everything and drive
40 miles one way to get here for 2 hours of work)
It pays a whopping $16.00 an hour, on contract.
As you may or may nor be aware, contract work is the way that corps avoid
paying any benefits. Unlike you <decidedly smarter> folks down under,
medical coverage is not provided for everyone. By law, we get medical
coverage in the form of a job "benefit". However if the company hires you
on contract (or part time), then they are not required (by law) to provide
benefits and they do not provide them.  It's not about people; it's about
the bottom line.  Wellstone's quotable quote "What's good for everybody is
good for everybody" falls on deaf ears in much of the USofA.

 Regards,
MN Mary