[audacity4blind] Re: Reducing hum with audacity.

  • From: "David R. Sky" <davidsky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 22:25:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Anders,

To remove one specific frequency, don't use the lowpass or highpass filters, use the notch filter I've attached, called notch50.ny - the default frequency it will remove is fifty hertz.

Three edit fields: remove 60hz, remove 50hz, or remove frequency of your choice. Default is remove 50hz.

Next edit field: if you've chosen to remove another frequency, enter it into this field.

Third edit field: what's known as 'q' or 'quality' of filtering. A lower value removes a wider range of frequencies centered around the notch frequency you chose.

David

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006, Anders Holmberg wrote:

Hello!
I am about to reduce hom or try to remove it with audacity.
Its from a radio show which i recorded from my stereo receiver.
I didn't realize there was a grounding problem.
Its a 50HZ hum which is really annoying to listen to.
Can anybody here recomend which filter i should use to reduce this hum?
And which cutoff frequency would be the best to use?
I have tried to use lowpass filter from 40 hz and highpass filter from 70 hz.
But i am no mathematics which now seem to be abit frustrating to me.
I am no good in counting so i hope someone can clear out this for me.
Sorry.
Thanks in advance.
/Anders.
;nyquist plug-in

;version 1

;type process

;name "Notch Filter..."

;action "Applying Notch Filter..."

;info "by David R. Sky\nReleased under terms of GNU Public License\nlower q
gives wider notch"

;control choice "Default choice" int "0=60 1=50 2=variable" 1 0 2

;control freq "Notch frequency" real "Hz" 60.0 20.0 20000.0

;control q "Notch q" real "Q" 1.00 0.01 5.00

; Notch filter by David R. Sky

; updated January 2, 2006

; Released under terms of the GNU Public License

; http://www.opensource.org/licenses/gpl-license.php

(setf freq (cond

; remove 60 Hz hum, North America

((= choice 0) 60)