[audacity4blind] Re: Labels

  • From: David Bailes <david_bailes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 15:47:05 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Robert,
I'd be interested in your list of the disadvantages and short comings of the
label editor, however long. And if anyone else has suggestions, please post
them.

Concerning single characters creating labels. Unfortunately, as things stand
this is considered a feature rather than a bug. There was discussion on the
developers list a while back that maybe there should be a preference as to
whether or not this happens, but nothing came of this. For sighted users, the
current behaviour allows them to quickly create labels, with the minimum of
keystrokes. For blind users...

David.

On Friday, 10 October 2014, 14:39, Robert Hänggi <aarjay.robert@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Hi Robert,
> your method is ingenious.
> A user would still be advised to move away from the label track after using
> it, so that they don't accidentally and silently create spurious labels.
> One drawback of the current Labels editor is that in general it doesn't keep
> track of the current cursor position, so you have to move through several
> cells in the table just to get to the next label.
>
> David.

Hi David

The nice thing with navigating on the track panel is that you land on
the nearest label when you move dow with the cursor to a label track.
However, that labels are created automatically when moving down is
simply annoying.
Nothing in Audacity works that way. Ctrl-b and ctrl-m are sufficient
imo, at least if an explicit edit entering key was defined (such as F2
in other programs).
Furthermore, single-character shortcuts do also automatically enter
the edit mode--a known bug.

The label editor would be a nice alternative for us.
However, the disadvantages and short comings are too numerous to list here.

However, I like your idea to force the editor to focus on the nearest
label to the cursor position when entering it--instead of the track
choice.

Regards

Robert