[askdba] Re: Question regarding MAX SGA Size and Physical Memory

  • From: "Yavor Ivanov" <yavor_ivanov@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: askdba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 08:57:15 +0300

        First of all, if you have 4 GB RAM you can easily use 3 GB for Oracle
(Note:1036312.6). In fact, you can use even more with AWE (Note:225349.1),
but in your case it is not needed.

        1. If your process space is limited to 2 GB (and it is, if you do net
set
the 3 GB switch of Windows), you cannot have 2 GB SGA. Your _whole_
process space is 2 GB. This is SGA + PGA + Oracle executables and
libraries (~50 MB). And, in fact, Windows reserves the first and last 64 K
of that 2 GB windows to catch bad pointers. So you never have exact 2 GB.
Remember, the SGA is allocated in granules (16 MB each, in your case), so
you cannot allocate (2GB - 128K)

        2. No. Note 148495.1 statеs:
"At instance startup the Oracle Server allocates the granule entries, one
for each granule to support SGA_MAX_SIZE bytes of address space."
        So Oracle will try to allocate 2 GB, no matter if you use 128 MB or 2
GB
for all pools.

        Rgds,
        Yavor