[askdba] Re: Question regarding MAX SGA Size and Physical Memory

  • From: "Justin Cave (DDBC)" <jcave@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <askdba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:11:50 -0600

First, I would generally not assign a fixed percentage for executables
and binaries.  Whether you have 1 GB of RAM or 16 GB of RAM, your Oracle
executables and operating system will require the same amount of RAM. =20

Second, since your SGA is so large compared to your PGA, I am hoping
that you are building a pure OLTP application.  Even with that, though,
your PGA is probably a bit on the small side.  If you will be doing any
reporting or you are building a DSS system, your initial estimates are
probably out of whack.

For more discussion on allocating RAM on an Oracle server, there is a
discussion here: http://www.ddbcinc.com/askddbc/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3D276

Justin Cave  <jcave@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Distributed Database Consulting, Inc.
http://www.ddbcinc.com/askDDBC