Re: [artworks] Printing problems from Artworks

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 14:40:36 +0100

In message <c8c4792750.tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, I'm still workign at this Great design of mine.  PDF generation is
> showing no problem now.  But I am having a curious set of problems with
> printing the image:

> 1. If I print direct from Art-Works, via PS2 to my colour laser priter,
>    some of the red colours are printed as black.  These are only for some
>    particular sprites, which are probably 8 bit or less in colour.

Thanks for the report. Yes, that is a serious problem in ArtWorks that
I have not noticed before. Printing 256 colour sprites to PostScript
with Crystal transparency switched on seems to go wrong. Printing to
other drivers works.

> 2. As an aside, using !PDF to display the PDF file made by ArtWorks is a
>    disaster:  !PDF cannot handle sprites with a transparent mask.

Yes, and the same applies to Xara Xtreme and ArtWorks PDF import.

> 3. Curiously I transferred the same PDF file to the host Mac (host to
>    VARPC) and it displayed the PDF file well.  But printing it just had
>    a mid-red hue all over the paper, with the image faintly below.

No idea about that one. Since Adobe Reader on Windows displays the
file correctly and also your Mac displayed it correctly, this looks
like a Mac printing problem.