Re: [artworks] Joining shapes

  • From: Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ArtWorks Mail list <artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 13:59:08 +0100

On 08 Jun, riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> In article <18b344ac4f.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Martin
> Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > In message <4fac3da5aariscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Richard Ashbery
> >           <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > "Join shapes" will certainly join two objects leaving a
> > > transparent hole in the middle of the new shape. I sometimes
> > > need to join say a filled rectangle and a circle to give a
> > > rounded shape (a rectangle with a convex end). I can do this
> > > using the path editing tools but is there a quicker and better
> > > way.

> > Yes, using a "magic" sequence of operations you can unify shapes
> > (obtain a single shape that covers the union of the areas of one
> > or more shapes) and subtract shapes (obtain a shape that covers
> > the area of one shape minus the area covered by another partially
> > overlapping shape). See the Intersect tutorial for details. You
> > can find it on your ArtWorks 2 CD.

I've had another look at this Martin and sure enough it can be done.

Assuming the two "closed" objects are selected, the sequence of events
is as follows:

CTRL-I
CTRL-K
ALT-drag the original and clone to select both (note - there is
nothing to indicate the shapes are selected and if you get this bit
wrong and end up selecting only the clone the rest of the procedure
fails).
CTRL-W
CTRL-L
Select intersection and delete.

Six steps are needed. Could this be simplified in the future. The
abitity to join multiple shapes in a simplified way might allow some
interesting geometric patterns to be created.

The other reason is that in 3 months time I will have forgotten how to
do this and have to refer to the tutorial again.

Best regards

Richard