Re: [artworks] Hestitation while loading

  • From: John McCartney <j.mccartney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:46:58 +0100

In article <4fb03197a3badger.sett@xxxxxxxxxx>, Richard
Brock <badger.sett@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <f1f507b04f.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I do not think you can draw this conclusion. It is well
> > conceivable that the Windows side could be holding up
> > ArtWorks even if it is always at the same module. For
> > instance, imagine your Windows virus checker checking
> > every file that is accessed. It uses signatures to
> > detect known viruses. Any RISC OS file, e.g., the main
> > module file of the ArtWorks Group module, might just
> > happen to contain a sequence of bytes that triggers
> > one of the signatures. Then, maybe the virus checker
> > stops the system from accessing that file while it
> > analyses it in depth, which might take some time.

> Which might tie-in with my own experience which has been
> the same as John's on a similar set-up, although my host
> system is Vista... the factor which changed for me was
> installing AVG 8 as my virus checker in place of AVG 7.5

Yes, I forgot to mention that I recently upgraded to AVG 8
having used 7.5 for the last couple of years.

In view of that, it looks as though Martin's suggestion is
probably the right one though it doesn't seem to account
for why it sometimes happens and at other times doesn't.

John

--
John McCartney
j.mccartney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx