Re: [artworks] Hestitation while loading

  • From: "Bruce Goatly" <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 10:17:29 +0100

Richard Travers wrote:

> That ties in with my experience too. I had noticed Artworks taking
> noticeably longer to start up, and now you mention it (I hadn't made
> the connection) this did start just after upgrading to AVG 8.

Yes, we have a winner.

In AVG 8 I've just tried unchecking "Always scan files without
extensions" in the Advanced settings under Resident Shield, before
running VirtualRPC-SE after a reboot. Artworks2 then loaded blindingly
fast.

Quitting VirtualRPC and rechecking the setting in AVG led to the usual
pause in loading AW2. I guess AVG is 'intelligent' enough not to
examine the same file twice in a certain period.

Mind you, I wonder how useful that AVG setting is on the PC side and
whether it can safely be left unchecked. It will obviously degrade
performance in loading almost any file while running VirtualRPC-SE.

For me, the catch was that almost the first thing I did when my new PC
arrived was to upgrade to AVG 8, so I had no previous performance to
compare with on this machine.

--
Bruce