Re: [artworks] Can I stop Uniting leaving bits behind?

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 11:00:22 +0200

In message <mpro.llc8fa00003m411s1.tim@xxxxxxxxx>
          Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> More of my slow progress in learning Art Works.  I have been delighted
> to find that there is a method of combining objects to form a single
> shape, as in the Examples for Intersect, No 5.

> However I have found that this can leave some small bits behind in the
> final separation of the joined object from the intersect.  I have made
> an ArtWorks page showing the steps I took to unite the objects and put
> it here:

>   <http://www.tim.ukpub.net/riscos/Uniting_shapes.zip>

> Close examination will show two prongs (for want of a better word)
> poking up from the separated bit and missing from the united object.  I
> would like the prongs to be on the United object.  Can anyone advise how
> this can be done?

That is easy. Select them and the united shape and choose "Join
shapes". The two "prongs" are not part of the intersection, so they
should not be moved away as per step 5 of the tutorial. Just move away
the shapes that are in the intersection and delete them. There
probably should be a step 6 to tell you to join the remaining shapes
(which was not necessary in the simple example in the tutorial).