[AR] Re: New administration, good luck to them !

  • From: Henry Vanderbilt <hvanderbilt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 09:14:47 -0700

Either way it went last night, a third of the American electorate was going to be "eating their hearts out." (And the remaining third was acutely aware that neither remaining option was perfect and they had a really tough choice to make.)

The key here is that two-thirds of Americans are at least mildly favorably disposed toward space.

But keep in mind that anything this incoming Administration decides to do in space will have to be executed within some fairly hard limits:

- Strong Congressional regional coalitions supporting the current geographic distribution of funding.

- Limited Executive bandwidth for space. As in all US administrations for decades now, whatever their intentions, they'll have far larger and more pressing problems than space on their plate competing for their limited time and political clout.

- NASA's status as a sprawling multi-centered "mature federal bureaucracy" with all the massive inertia and resistance to change that implies.

That said, I do see a practical path for positive change through these obstacles. In fact, I need to be writing about that (with considerably more care than I put into arocket posts) for the day job.

Meanwhile, a hint: The current geographic distribution of funding does not necessarily imply the current geographic distribution of tasks.

That's probably too subtle... Clue-By-Four: NASA really doesn't need to be working on heavy-lift launch in-house. It's not 1962 - we have a commercial sector with multiple players able to take that on, at least two of them already working on that.

On the other hand, granted the strong near-term prospect of a thriving near-Earth space economy based on chemical rockets, one obvious next national technological requirement is for high-energy deep-space power and propulsion.

Which is exactly the sort of task a sprawling multi-state federal R&D establishment might usefully be pointed at. It's too expensive and too long-term for the commercial players. NASA meanwhile has for a long time been too focused on its own short-term agendas to do more than nibble around the edges of this national medium-to-long-term need.

So, my modest proposal: JSC et al continue running Station (stations?) in support of near-Earth commerce, in parallel with an increased emphasis on long-term life-sustainment research (rad shielding, of course, but also human variable-G work dammit) while MSFC et al begin shifting focus from heavy lift launch to high-energy deep-space power and propulsion.

Henry

On 11/9/2016 6:38 AM, John Dom wrote:

Now that so many are eating their hearts out this election day: first
impressions regarding coming space policy:

John