[AR] Re: Blue Origin beats SpaceX to re-launching a reusable rocket

  • From: Rand Simberg <simberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 13:09:53 -0800

On 2016-01-24 12:45, Henry Spencer wrote:

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016, Nels Anderson wrote:
Seems to me the approach may have been forced on Musk.  Unlike Bezos,
he's not wealthy enough to self-fund, so he needed a near-term income
stream.

The price for appealing to existing customers, though, was having to
build something fairly orthodox, regardless of long-term goals.  And
orthodox rockets are inherently very expensive to develop and operate,
and so much of that near-term income stream is being sucked away by
the near-term expense stream.

Just doing things efficiently was a sufficiently radical break with
past practice that it's shaken up the industry, for sure.  But SpaceX
*is* fighting with one foot in a bucket, trying to retrofit some
reusability into an expendable rocket.  They have a big head start,
but whether it's enough to make up for that handicap remains to be
seen.

Henry

While I've always assumed that the path to reusability was expanding the performance envelope of reusable systems (per the Greason philosophy), in light of what SpaceX has accomplished, I'm kind of scratching my head here at all this talk about making an "expendable" rocket reusable. Elon has always been adamant (once to me personally) that if he didn't get to reusability, he would consider it a failure, regardless of profitability or market share. AFAIK, he has designed everything in the Falcon for multiple reuse and long life, with a lot of engine testing in McGregor to demonstrate that. The only thing he didn't do initially is provide a viable recovery scheme, hoping that he could recover in the ocean with chutes. I (and no doubt others) told him over half a decade ago that the only way he was going to get the stage back was hot jets, and sacrifice payload. He's now doing that, so it's not obvious to me what advantage Blue will have.