Re: [ARMini-support] Boot to Supervisor

  • From: Andrew Pinder <Andrew.Pinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 21:54:49 GMT

In message <9c10306c52.rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 on 6 Mar 2012 A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <4399f16b52.Andrew-Pin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Andrew Pinder <Andrew.Pinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I've recently aquired an ARMini and spent time copying files from my
>> Iyonix using a USB stick.  Inevitably I left it plugged into one of
>> the rear USB ports on the machine when shutting down. What I
>> discovered is that the ARMini boots to the Supervisor * prompt when
>> this is the case.  So presumably it is finding this disc and failing
>> to find the bootable internal USB drive.

>> I can see advantages to the ability to boot from an external drive but
>> I won't be the only person to leave one plugged in for convenience.
>> Would it be possible to specify the boot order so the internal drive
>> is accessed first?

> The order of USB ports is a very complex issue, and is what cause the
> delay in the release of 5.18.  It is to do with the way the HAL /
> kernel initialises, and when it is able to deal with the init requests
> for ports.

> Anyway, as configured, the order of devices is - rear ports, internal
> stick, card reader, front ports.

Is this related to the rear ports being connected directly to the
motherboard while the others are connected to a hub?

> As such, if you use pen drives on the front ports, rather than the
> rear, you should be fine.

It so happens that the ARMIni is sitting just behind the monitor so
accessing the rear ports is easier - especially since the Iyonix is
further behind.

--
Andrew Pinder
List-related queries to support@xxxxxxxxxxxx