[argyllcms] Re: dispread fails with ubuntu packed argyllcms with i1pro

  • From: Pascal de Bruijn <pmjdebruijn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 21:30:43 +0100

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Roland Mas <lolando@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Graeme Gill, 2010-01-10 08:58:00 +1100 :
>
> [...]
>
>> libusb has to be able to deal with two threads accessing the
>> same device having independent timeouts. The original libusb V0.1
>> code didn't handle that.
>>
>> [This is exactly why Argyll comes with its own copy of libusb, and why
>> I strongly object to Linux distributions removing it - it's not a
>> whim, there are very concrete reasons for not trusting whatever
>> version of libusb happens to be on the system ! You certainly aren't
>> doing yourselves or end users any favors distributing broken versions
>> of Argyll, and I'm particularly unhappy about how it then reflects
>> back on upstream.]
>
>  I understand your position, but it makes life much harder for
> packagers, since it means several copies of libraries with slightly
> different feature sets and bug sets are floating around on the system,
> which means several times more time to spend on support, which nobody
> wants to do.  At least in the Debian project, the security team has this
> policy of frowning deeply upon such a practice, and I doubt that libusb
> could warrant an exception.  Arguing with the security team to try to be
> granted an exception is more time and energy than I'm willing to spend,
> especially since I agree with the general policy.  The Java-like mess is
> not something I even want to hear about, let alone encourage.

While I agree mostly (ideally) with that argument, it does not really
apply in practice here...

We are using system libusb, because the system libusb is maintained...
To prevent future bugs...

However, we have at this moment a major bug, namely one of the most
common professional spectrophotometers does not work anymore. This is
a significant loss of functionality... Some might call it crippled.

Besides upstream, is there an easy way I can revert the package
sources, to the built-in libusb for my PPA?

Regards,
Pascal de Bruijn