[argyllcms] Re: dispread fails with ubuntu packed argyllcms with i1pro

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 02:55:18 +1100

Ben Goren wrote:

Does it make sense at this point to strip out everything not related to color
device
and rename it to ``libcolorusb'' or something?

If that would help force the distro's to ship working copies of Argyll,
maybe that's the only way.

Is there really any development going on in libusb that would be useful to
Argyll?
I would think that, by now, USB would be very mature except for the odd tweak
here

Oh yes, there is considerable development at this moment. Winusb driver support
is being added to libusb 1.0 as we speak, and this would solve the MSWindows 64
bit signing problem. It's still under heavy development though, and there are a
few gotchas that need to be sorted through and solved, such as no Win2K support,
not compiling without extra libraries under MSWin, and having to distribute
Microsoft redistributables with it (Winusb co-installer). This is not to mention
testing it and possibly fixing it for any color instrument peculiarities.
So there is the prospect of being able to use the upstream libusb un-changed
some time in the future, but it is not right now.

and there for problem devices. It seems quite clear that the libusb people don't
give a damn about color devices, and all the other devices are obviously
irrelevant
to Argyll.

The libusb guys are focused on the future, and most of them have scratched their
own itch (ie. libusb 1.0 works on their platforms with their devices). Up until
recently there hasn't been much interest in making it more cross platform
by adding MSWindows. Testing color instruments is only something
that can be done by someone with access to them, and apparently only I am
interested in continuing support for Win2K.