[argyllcms] Re: argyllcms Digest V7 #237

  • From: "Hal V. Engel" <hvengel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 10:36:07 -0700

On Monday, October 04, 2010 11:16:06 pm Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 23:06:34 +0100
> > From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Subject: [argyllcms] Re: ArgyllCMS and Gutenprint
> >
> > On 04/10/10 18:09, Pascal de Bruijn wrote:
> >> So does anybody here have any experience driving an Epson printer
> >> using Gutenprint and calibrating/profiling it using Argyll?
> >
> > I have an Epson R285 which I profile using Argyll and a non-UV-cut
> > DTP41.  I find that for 6-ink (CcMmYK) printers, Gutenprint's output in
> > "uncorrected" mode is very well behaved, and generally get colprof error
> > reports with max fitting error of <2dE and average about 0.7dE.  For the
> > more "exotic" inksets the fitting error is a fair bit higher due to the
> > difficulty of getting a good transition between the inks.
>
> Agreed. "Uncorrected" is a minimal invasive colour correction mode well
> suited for ICC workflows with Gutenprint. You might start with a low
> count patch set and refine your target from a first measurement to a
> higher patch number. Relative colorimetric with BPC works relyably.
>
> Photoprint can handle 16-bit Cmyk. So it might be the most comfortable
> choice without editing needs.

I use an RGB image to CMYK GutenPrint printer work flow in Photoprint and get
very good results.  It is more effort to create CMYK profiles because you need
to tune the black generation but once you get a good CMYK profile for the
printer Photoprint will handle the image color space (IE RGB what ever) to
printer color space transform nicely.