[argyllcms] Re: argyllcms Digest V7 #237

  • From: Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b@xxxxxx>
  • To: ArgyllCMS <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 08:16:06 +0200 (MEST)

Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 23:06:34 +0100
From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [argyllcms] Re: ArgyllCMS and Gutenprint
On 04/10/10 18:09, Pascal de Bruijn wrote:

So does anybody here have any experience driving an Epson printer
using Gutenprint and calibrating/profiling it using Argyll?

I have an Epson R285 which I profile using Argyll and a non-UV-cut
DTP41.  I find that for 6-ink (CcMmYK) printers, Gutenprint's output in
"uncorrected" mode is very well behaved, and generally get colprof error
reports with max fitting error of <2dE and average about 0.7dE.  For the
more "exotic" inksets the fitting error is a fair bit higher due to the
difficulty of getting a good transition between the inks.

Agreed. "Uncorrected" is a minimal invasive colour correction mode well
suited for ICC workflows with Gutenprint. You might start with a low count patch set and refine your target from a first measurement to a higher patch number. Relative colorimetric with BPC works relyably.

Photoprint can handle 16-bit Cmyk. So it might be the most comfortable choice without editing needs. It might be a little bit ignorant about embedded profiles (tested only v0.4.2-pre2 with some TIFFs and PNGs).

Personal I use the Oyranos / CinePaint combo for one local printer setup.
But it is harder to setup on your distro given the lack of CinePaint packages with proper CM in mind on Debian.

If you'd like to see some results "in the flesh" I'll willingly send
some prints to you in the post if you like?

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--
developing for colour management www.behrmann.name + www.oyranos.org