[argyllcms] Re: Spectroradiometric measurements

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 12:27:27 +1000

Andrej Javoršek wrote:

At the university I have the opportunity to use Photo Research PR-650 Spectroradiometer
http://www.photoresearch.com/current/pr650.asp
The data that I get from this instrument are spectral power distribution from 380 to 780 nm with 4nm interval and in W/m^2*nm.
The question is are those spectral data directly usable to calculate CIE tristimulus values or should I somehow normalize
those spectral values.

It depends what you are going to use it for. For measuring a monitor, you probably want to keep the absolute units, so that you can set a particular brightness. I'm not quite sure how you would use a PR-650 to do reflective media measurements (seems possible, but mechanically awkward), but reflective and transmissive measurements divide out the illuminant spectrum, converting the reading to a relative value in the process.