[argyllcms] Re: Relative And Perceptual rendering intent

  • From: Nikolay Pokhilchenko <nikolay_po@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 18:42:44 +0400

 Dimitrije Zivkovic wrote:

>Is any possibility  to achieve similar results in profile between Relative and
>Perceptual rendering intent?
>
>Also, without using -s option, profile can't calculate right conversion.
>
>My command looks like this:
>
>colprof -v -qh -kp(…) -Zp -Tp -tp -sAdobeRGB1998.icc -l250
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Dimitrije Zivkovic
Hi Dmitrije!
I think You shouldn't use AdobeRGB1998 as source color space for gamut mapping.
This is because AdobeRGB1998 represents a lot of impossible for CMYK printing
colors. The compression from excessive high gamut volume to the gamut of Your
printer leads to heavy gamut compression, to excessive desaturation of some
colors. I'd recommed You select as source colorspace more reasonable, more
realistic gamut. For example,  ISO Coated v2 (ECI) or sRGB - depends on the
source of images to print.
If You can compute the profile or device link for every image or image group,
You can use real image gamut as source gamut for profiling or device link
computing. This way You'll got a minimum color compression for perceptual
rendering intent.
May be You need just black point compensation? If so, You can select another
intent in place of saturation or perceptual profile table. For example:

colprof -v -qh -kp(…) -sAdobeRGB1998.icc -tla -Zp -l250

With Luminance axis matched Appearance You'll got most similar to Relative
intent result but with better blacks.
I think there should be no sense to use "-T" parameter as long as You've select
"-s" because there should be only "perceptual" table. So no need to define
saturation table mapping type.