[argyllcms] Re: Profile input white not mapping to output white

  • From: Iliah Borg <ib@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 22:25:45 -0500

Dear Ben,

It looks like profiling for gamma = 1 adds posterization problems. Gamma around
2 may be better.

Additionally, I see clipping of the green channel on the portions of the
whitest patch of the target itself and general clipping on the darkest patch.
That means you are stretching the dynamic range of the camera with this shot,
stretching beyond usable - that is, getting into the unstable and non-linear
zones of highlights and shadows. Maybe editing out the blown-out portion on the
target may help?

Shooting against bright background for profiling may add unwanted flare to the
shot. I recognize that those are your actual shooting conditions, still I would
try to profile from a shot with a dark background and see if it helps. It
certainly helped in a test I just made.

Last, but not least - raw converter you used seems not fully adequate for the
task as it treats highlights in a slightly crude manner.

--
Iliah Borg
ib@xxxxxxxxxxx