[argyllcms] Re: Profile input white not mapping to output white

  • From: Gerhard Fuernkranz <nospam456@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 23:40:11 +0100

Hi Ben,

seems you are facing an extrapolation issue beyond the media white point. The
.ti3 file covers only the RGB 0...53 range, and there are no data points in the
53...100 range. Particularly non-parametric models (i.e. CLUT profiles) can
suffer severely when they need to extrapolate such a big range (-aG would
likely do a better extrapolation job here).

Furthermore the CIE and RGB data in the .ti3 don't fit well to each other. If
this .ti3 file was created from 706C8559.CR2, then I would not be surprised, as
this shot seems to be not the best one (uneven illumination - about 1 f-stop
difference between upper right and lower left corner of the target).

Best Regards,
Gehard

On 2012-11-23, at 9:50 AM, Ben Goren wrote:

I just looked a bit closer, and I can only see a half-dozen pixels clipped in
the second green channel in patch N18, and they're all outside of the
BOX_SHRINK margins.
I've done a bit more experimentation, and I'm now *VERY* confident that this
has nothing at all to do with the RAW processing and everything to do with
something going wonky in colprof.

I've created plain flat TIFFs in various ways out of the original RAW file,
confirmed that there's nothing weird in the TIFFs (no clipping of anything but
the black patch, etc.), and then fed those TIFFs to Argyll, and used Argyll for
all further manipulation. I've also used Photoshop to tag the image with the
profile and gotten the same results.

Here's a more dramatic recent example:

That's the original file tagged with the profile. You can confirm by checking
the RGB values of the background -- they're all 255,255,255, but they get
turned cyan by the profile. Assign any standard generic-ish profile (such as
sRGB) to that image and the cyan becomes white.

For reference, here's an idealized synthetically-created version of the chart.
You can confirm at a glance that the chart itself is being accurately
reproduced:

Indeed, if you do a blink comparator type of analysis between those two
pictures, there's hardly any visible difference at all.

Here's the .ti3 file, generated from a full-sized (but cropped) 16-bit TIFF of
the (untagged) top image:

Here're the two most relevant lines from that file:

  #     XYZ_X        XYZ_Y       XYZ_Z     RGB_R    RGB_G    RGB_B  STDDEV_R
STDDEV_G STDDEV_B
I13  8.7720e-03  8.5310e-03  8.8570e-03  0.52812  0.49257  0.47701  0.19195
0.17432  0.14688
N18 94.683      98.339      81.005      53.085   53.987   52.269    6.8720
6.6649   6.7166

I13 is the light trap I described earlier, and N18 is a bit of Teflon thread
seal tape. The latter is only barely above 50%, with a looooooong way to go
before clipping.

And here's the profile by itself, created by colprof without any options:

Cheers,

b&