[argyllcms] Re: Profile input white not mapping to output white

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 18:34:22 -0700

Iliah,

> That is where RawDigger helps - select the target and make sure that your
> whitest patch is close to saturation in the green channels (watch the red too
> if shooting under incandescent light) [. . . .]

Thanks -- I'll give that a try and report back with the results...tomorrow. I
also need to change the composition for the shot, which (of course) will mean
changing everything else, including lighting.

If I may ask: what are you using to process your raw files? Until recently,
I've been using Photoshop and Adobe Camera Raw with a very tediously built DNG
profile. Based on some promising results with initial testing, I've been trying
to do all this with linear development using RAW Developer...but its linear
processing seems to be doing a lot more than merely a white balance and
demosaicing, and I'm not entirely sure what all it's doing. I just spent a bit
of time playing with Raw Photo Processor, and, though its user interface is a
bit more confusing, I think it might have more potential for quality results.

> There is also a sort of two-stage approach possible, to reduce the noise.
> Make a matrix profile, and follow it with Lab-to-Lab correction profile.

Can you shed a bit more light on this?

If I had to guess, you'd first generate a profile normally with -a s (or -a
g?)...and then...um...actually, I think I get lost at that point...

Thanks again,

b&