[argyllcms] Re: Profile editing / colour reproduction adjustments

  • From: "Hal V. Engel" <hvengel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 13:51:52 -0700

On Wednesday 13 August 2008 12:16:05 pm Milan Knížek wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I am still learning about colour processing and while happily using a
> regular colour managed work-flow from camera to print (thanks to
> ArgyllCMS, Huey, DTP-41) on linux, I do not have a "professional"
> experience with other tools - so sorry if I ask a stupid question.
>
> Back to the matter:
> What are the possibilities to adjust the input (camera) profile so that
> its application provides more pleasing (rather then realistic) colours?
> Let's say, that I would like to increase saturation of skin tones
> without too much affect on other colours.
>
> I have searched google and there appear to exist "profile editors" for
> Windows and Mac. Anything similar for linux?
>
> Or can I also directly edit the ti3 or the colour target's reference
> file (which seems to me quite difficult) or possibly apply "inverse"
> colour correction on the camera image of the colour target before
> profiling (which resulted in big delta E and banding in colours)?
>
> Thanks for possible advices or links for further study.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Milan Knizek

If your workflow involves a raw processing program like UFRAW you can
influance the resulting profiles by doing the inverse of what you want when
creating your target image.  For example if you want more saturation by
default you can reduce the saturation level in UFRAW when prepairing your
target image.  Then the resulting profile will add some saturation.  You can
also do the same sorts of things for contrast and exposure.

Hal