[argyllcms] Re: Profile editing / colour reproduction adjustments

-----Original Message-----
From: Milan Kní?ek <knizek.confy@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 21:16:05 +0200

> What are the possibilities to adjust the input (camera) profile so that
> its application provides more pleasing (rather then realistic) colours?

I can advice You to try saturation intent mapping in device link profile for
each image:

tiffgamut -ia -pj -cpcd Camera.icc Photo.tif
collink -g Photo.gam -is -cpcd -dpp Camera.icc Output.icc PhotoSat.icc
cctiff PhotoSat.icc -e Output.icc Photo.tif PhotoSat.tif

where
Camera.icc - normal camera profile without corrections,
Output.icc - Output device profile (pay attention to selection of the viewing
conditions),
Photo.tif - base photo,
PhotoSat.tif - more saturated photo, than perceptual intent.

In this case not only skin tones will be more saturated. Nevertheless the
results are noteworthy. Saturation is image and device-depended.
For noisy images the downsampling of tiffgamut image may be necessary. In some
cases the higher quality link (collink -qh) is required.

> I have searched google and there appear to exist "profile editors" for
> Windows and Mac. Anything similar for linux?
>
> Or can I also directly edit the ti3 or the colour target's reference
> file (which seems to me quite difficult) or possibly apply "inverse"
> colour correction on the camera image of the colour target before
> profiling (which resulted in big delta E and banding in colours)?

IMO, the correct ways are profile editing or classical manual color correction.