[argyllcms] Re: Problem with packaging profile

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 10:21:57 +1100

Vladimir Gajic wrote:
> in the attachment you will find ti3-data from a packaging print I´ve
> tried to profile using Argyll V.1.3.5.
> No matter what I did, I wasn´t able to get a decent result, so maybe
> on of you guys have a better idea.
> The print is very inconsistent, especially the gray-axis. Anyway -this
> is quite a real-life situation in packaging.

Hi,

One way I've used for estimating the necessary level of smoothing
(ie. judging the noise level in the readings) is to look at the
3D gamut boundary plot of the resulting profile. Typically
if the top surfaces are dimpled, then smoothing is too low. The
surfaces tend to take on a more "crisp" appearance at the right level.

For your data set the gamut surface starts to look better at about -r 5.0
(See attached images), so something around there or above may give
better results.

> I tried also to build a profile using other packages (e.g. PrintOpen).
> The results where somehow better, but still not satisfying.
> Maybe this example also could be a good test-item for Graeme?
>
> Some parameters needed:
>
> Total area coverage: 340%
> The separation should be UCR (under colour removal)

You don't get a choice of this with Argyll (sorry - just haven't
got around to implementing it), it's always GCR.
(ie. there is no control over the replacement width away from
the neutral axis.)

> The black should start at approx. 25% an reach his maximum at 95%

This is hard to interpret. 25% of what ? Total contribution - ie.
all inks about equal ?

The maximum tends to be determined by the requirements of the
ink limiting (although it's rather high at 340%) - the real
question how fast it should move towards the maximum - ie
whether the curve should be concave, straight or convex,
and hence what the balance amongst the different inks is.

I get what I think are reasonable looking curves with about equal
levels using the following:

  -kp 0 0.05 .97 .93 0.3 -l340

You might want more black if you want better grey stability/lower
ink usage, at the cost of stronger black dots.

You can control how much black appears in near white a bit
by fiddling the 0.05 number. Change the black proportion
through the bulk of the curve by playing with the 0.3 number.
It isn't very well set up to finesse the black proportion
at the dark end though.

(This is using xicclu to see what's going on - see the tutorial)