[argyllcms] Re: Influence of the root window setup on Argyll measurement

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 07:15:26 +1000

Andreas F.X. Siegert wrote:
When I run dispcal, it places semitransparent windows for measuring over
the root. Am I missing an option or what is broken?

Hmm. Seems like people have invented ingenuous new ways of
breaking calibration. The calibration window is setup
as best I know how to be on top of any other window,
and not have anything get in its way (like the cursor,
screensavers, power savers etc.), but obviously the compositing
window manager isn't taking the hint. There is no concept
of transparency in the base X11 protocol, so there is
no standard way that I'm aware of, of indicating that the
window is not to be transparent.

You have two choices:

 Turn off transparency in your window  manager when you do calibration.

 Figure out whether there is some attribute I can set on the
 window to tell such compositing window managers to not make
 the window transparent.

cheers,