[argyllcms] Re: GretagMacbeth Eye-One/i1 ?

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 12:04:51 +1100

Mark Houghton wrote:

> Hi, I have an i1 that was for monitors only, but I can use it for
> everything.The only difference was that the software that comes with the i1
> will only support display measurements.If you are planning to use argyll to
> do all your colour management, than there is no difference between all the
> i1'sThe only difference I know is in the software supplied with the
> units.Xrite/Gretag should no make any real difference as there has been no
> difference in the hardware since xrite has taken over.Make sure that this is
> a revD version i1. I have seen Xrite and Gretag labels on revD versions so
> that fact that this has Gretag dose not mean it is an older version.The revD
> version works alot faster and can be used in high resolution mode, but if you
> get a good price I would still buy a revA version.It is better to have a
> cheap i1 then none...Just make sure that it is not a UV filter unit, UV is
> good for rip linearization but no good for colour profiling... Mark Houghton

Note that Gretag made a device called "Eye-One Monitor"
<http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/instruments.html#i1m>
which (as far as I'm aware, since I don't actually have one)
is incapable of reflective measurement. Certainly Argyll
won't attempt a reflective measurement with this instrument
since it is missing the reflective calibration data.